Monday, May 14, 2007

Run - Downtown Santa Barbara

Time: 6:05pm, approx. 45 minutes
  • Stretch for 5 minutes
  • Run for 10 minutes
  • Stretch for 10 minutes
  • Run for 15 minutes
  • Stretch for 5 minutes
Meal: Soup @ 3pm, toasted english muffin with honey @ 4:45pm
Distance: Approx. 3 miles (View Map)

Boy, am I hurting from Saturday! I was supposed to do some cross training yesterday but, as I often find to be the case on Sundays, I could barely move. The good news is that this isn't the kind of debilitating, searing pain that I've felt in my knees or feet during past injuries - rather the pain caused by fatigued, aching muscles. With my past injuries, there has been a hanging question as to whether I suffered long term damage...although I'm hurting and can barely walk, I'm 100% confident that my muscles will recover in the next few days.

That being said - I am tight...and tight means slow. I feel like I forgot to walk, so naturally heading into a run is even more challenging. All I could do is ease into it as slowly as possible and stretch whenever I felt the need. It took me a good 30 minutes to finally warm up to a normal stride (and semi-normal pace). I slowly increased my pace as my sore legs would allow it!

I wish I could stretch for like an hour...I still had tightness and pain in my legs (specifically my hip and adductor) and nothing I am doing is offering very much relief in the short term. I'm using the foam roller twice per day and rolling every area of my legs I can feasibly get to...I can tell from the last two days that this is probably the single most important tool in my muscle recovery!

No comments: