Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Cross Training - Yoga at Spectrum Club

Time: 4:30pm, 1 hour 15 minutes
Meal: Pizza (ehck...again) at 12:00pm

I went to the afternoon Yoga class at the SB Uptown Spectrum Club - I don't think I've ever been in such a crowded class! I knew instantly that I probably wouldn't enjoy it...which was confirmed after hitting the arm of the woman next to me. I have to take some responsibility, though - the class may have been crowded but I forgot my yoga matt, was running late, and was generally discombobulated so I couldn't really be totally present.

The instructor was great, though. I appreciated that she took time before a pose to describe, in detail, what it should look and feel like. I think she had to do that since the class was so big there was no way she was going to be able to look at everyone's form...let alone adjust it. Her description gave me the confidence to make my own adjustments based on where I felt the stretch and how my form looked in the mirror.

Unlike previous yoga practices, I was actually able to do most of the poses...including the standing splits (which I could not do during my classes last month). The only pose I could not do was a fairly new one that I don't usually see with other instructors, which involved linking my finger around my big toe and stretching my leg straight out in front of me while standing up. I can't get my legs and arms simultaneously straight out in front of me in any position (I can only barely brush my toes on a good day). I'm just not flexible enough at the hips. On that note, any pose involving leaning forward with a sraight back is always challenging for me, but I've gotten better at just accepting the best I can do.

The stretching felt great. My current complaint is actually in my right leg - the adductor (I have tightness and aches along the inside of my leg from my groin to my knee). I can't quite seem to find a good pose or stretch that really works this...so back to the foam roller. Unfortunately, I'm having a hard time getting the foam roller to hit all the spots (the position I need to be in to work that muscle is a little awkward), but with a little patience I can get at it o.k.

I'm drinking lots of water and trying to eat more carbs in preparation for Saturday...3 hours and 15 minutes!! Yikes!

No comments: