Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Cross Training - Bike (Downtown up Carillo)

Time: 7:00pm, approx. 30 minutes
Meal: ProVantage Protein Shake (1 scoop blended with 2 strawberries in 8oz. of rice milk) @ 6:15pm.
Distance: Approx. 6 miles

After taking a couple of days off while waiting for the verdict on my foot, I'm thrilled to be back in the saddle (literally) again. The verdict is Peroneal Tendonitis, which is (not surprisingly) linked to overcompensation in my stride from the IT band syndrome. The Orthopedic doctor was nice, but was kind of giving me that "why are you here" look and there was a general "suck it up" attitude in his voice. He said that it's just a matter of working with my chiropractor (Dr. Nicole) and my coaches with Team in Training to strengthen the surrrounding muscles and correct my stride. It means it's still going to hurt, but I haven't permanently damaged anything and, given enough dedication and perserverance, I'll be able to train myself over this hurdle.

That dedication and perserverance, though, has been really difficult to muster up. Besides the physical pain and muscle fatigue, I'm still battling some emotional distress that I can't quite determine whether it's linked to some chemical deficiency as a result of my training or if it's a direct response to other personal struggles and stresses I am currently facing in my life. I have a hunch that it falls somewhere in between. To be honest, I'm struggling with a lot of ambiguity in every aspect in my life - my family, my friendships, relationship, and my career. I think the focus and energy I have been putting on my training is taking away from the amount of energy I'm able to put into dealing with and working through those ambiguities. Just another lesson in life that comes down to finding a healthy balance. Last night, it also occurred to me that perhaps this focus on the training and its purpose has served me as something to latch onto that isn't ambiguous. This is an aspect in my life that has a clearly outlined goal and defined steps in order to reach it. In fact, there are two goals: To support the research and developement of cancer treatment and cures and to personally achieve the feat of running a marathon.

Anyway, enough pondering on my personal situation. What matters is that, energy or no, I made it out for the bike ride and that's a triumph in and of itself.

No comments: