Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Track Training, Santa Barbara City College

Time: 6:00pm, approx. 1 hour
  • 1600 warm up
  • 3 laps strides
  • stretch
  • 3200 (8 laps) at constant pace (2:15 minute laps)
    • Focus Training
  • 3 lap cool-down
Meal: (Can't Remember)

This is a break week for the team, which is nice to take advantage of even though I've fallen a bit behind.

The main goal of tonight's practice was to focus on our bodies and stay motivated with the task at hand. The theory is that running at a consistent (and perhaps somewhat slow) speed might create some boredom, so this was a practice on maintaining focus, as well as running as a group, taking turns drafting off of one another.

I am so glad it seems I am finally of the hump of feeling naseous when I train, but my body is still very slow to get into it. I'm not too worried about it, though, because I eventually reach that threshold and it starts feeling more natural (and actually good).

I notice that others in my time group (who ran the timed mile between 7:30 - 8:30 minutes) start off really strong and ctually push it pretty hard throughout the practice (so much that even the coaches ask them to slow down). My first instinct is to try and keep up with them, but I am finding that starting and ending at a more consistent pace is working better for me.

My kneeds did o.k. tonight, but were a little tight after practice. During the focus practice I noticed the tightness in my knees and also the occasional spur of pain in my shins. Paying attention to my legs, I have a whole new appreciation for just how much work this training is for them!

No comments: