Sunday, March 25, 2007

Long Run - To The Bird Refuge & Back the Long Way

Time: 7:00pm, approx 1:35
  • Home to the Bird Refuge then back to Cliff Drive & Rancheria via Loma Vista, out to Cabrillo Blvd (through City College path) & back on castillo to clifff to Rancheria to Home. Whew!
Meal: Protein Shake at 6:15pm - 2 full scoops in 8 oz. of rice milk. 1 pkg of GOO gel at :50

Due to my cold plus some emotional stress this had been a very difficult weekend. Instead of training Friday or Saturday I tried to just take it easy and stay quiet to help recouperate. I felt much better today, but still have a little wheezing in my chest. Considering this was a long run in comparison to the rest of my recent training, I was pleased with my performance and energy level.

This was a good route to do by myself since there are plenty of water fountains along the way to help keep me hydrated. The strawberry goo that I ate at about 50 minutes was a little tough to swallow and I didn't really notice any increase in energy as a result of it. In fact, the last 20 minutes were the most difficult in terms of energy (but it probably didn't help that it had gotten dark).

I noticed some discomfort in my knees at about 1:20, which escalated to more serious soreness later in the evening. The pain is more prominent in my left knee, and clibming down the stairs produces the most discomfort. They felt better after icing for 15-20 minutes each.

No comments: