Friday, March 16, 2007

Snowshoe/Backpacking to Minaret Falls Campground

Time: 11am, 4 hours (includes 1/2 hour lunch)
Meal: Scrambled eggs, croissant, O.J. @ 9am. Ham Sandwich & Trail mix plus Gatorade for lunch @ 1:30pm.
Length: 6.5 miles



A long week of late nights and early morning followed by a late, emotional night made this a tough day. Last night my best friend Kelly called me to telll me that her dad had passed away, so all day I had doubts about even going on with the trip. Anyway, I physcially felt o.k., just slow moving for a variety of different reasons.

We cut across the mountain from one road switchback to another, so there was a good mile of very steep decline. The pressure hurt the tops of my feet and ankles after a while, and I felt a distinct tightness in my glutes. I survived, though - it was a pretty good hike.

The weather during the day was an incredible 60+ degrees. At night, however, it dropped down to 20 or below and I was FREEZING! I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I really enjoy this camping in the snow thing.

No comments: