Sunday, March 18, 2007

Snowshoe/Backpacking to Mammoth Mountain Inn

Time: 10:00am, 6 hours
Meal: Freeze-dried granola, scrambled eggs & oatmeal at 9am. Cliff bar at 12pm, trail mix & nuts at 1:30pm.
Distance: 7.5 miles, 1500 vertical foot climb



I caught a chest cold so this was a particularly difficult day and certainly was not any fun. My pack weighed an (estimated) 40 lbs, and I must have given at least 5 lbs to Scott about 1/3 of the way to the top. It was slow going, and I experienced rises and drops in my energy periodically.

My chest was very congested so I took quite a few "hacking" breaks. Surprisingly, my muscles felt pretty decent and I did not experience any excess soreness or weakness. My only weakness was as a result of experiencing shortness in breath and slight asthma (pretty much the same thing, I guess).

We didn't pack a full lunch for this day. It worked out O.K. but I have a hunch that a well-balanced meal might have helped to spike my energy level a bit!

No comments: