Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Hike, Full Moon Hike at McMenemy/Girard Loop

I have raised $390 of my $1950 goal. Please support me and Donate Today!

Time: 7:45pm, 2 hours, 19 minutes
Meal: Salami & Cheese appetizer at 5pm, Nature Valley granola bar at 7:15pm.
Distance: 4.9 Miles (arguable...the trail description clocks it at 5.5. Normally, I'd say my GPS is right but I've had enough experience with trees getting in the way of its accuracy to be skeptical).

AMAZING hike! So invigorating! Can I make a confession right here, right now? I hate running. I LOVE hiking. It's fun to say that I ran 8 miles and feels good afterward, but it's equally as fun to say I hiked 5 miles by moonlight AND had a wicked awesome time!

I am hiking weekly with my hiking group which, thanks to Facebook, has attracted tons of new people this season. Tonight we broke our record at 17 people on the trail. I know it sounds like a lot, but with that many folks you end up breaking into nice pace groups. We also broke a record in that more people showed up than RSVP'd. That NEVER happens (normally 10 people will RSVP and 3 will show up).

It was a great hike, and I'm feeling like I'm in the shape I was back around 2003 when I was hiking and biking more. I powered my way to the top, feeling the burn as I scrambled up the rocks but enjoying every minute of it. People were giving me a hard time for organizing the hike then taking off (oops), but I couldn't help it! Given my previous statement about hating running, I'm surprised to hear myself say I think giving trail running a go is in my very near future. LOVE it!

Everything feels good, by the way...calves, hammys, and knees. I'm worried about the 10 mile run I have to schedule in sometime this weekend while I am in Vegas. I have good intentions anyway!

No comments: