Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Track Training, Santa Barbara City College

Time: 6pm, approx. 1 hour, 20 minutes
  • 4-lap warm-up
  • 2-laps strides
  • One 800 fast (2 laps)
  • One 400 cool down (1 lap)
  • One 3200 fast (8 laps or 2 miles)
  • 3 laps cool-down
Meal: Veggie burger at 1:30pm, salad at 4:00pm

Although my practice this week continues to be discouraging, I'm proud to announce that I actually did complete the 3200 with the rest of my group, coming in around 2 minutes, 10 seconds per lap. (There were plenty of times during the training that I thought I might have to quit). I just almost vomited aftwerwards and had to walk during my cool-down because I just didn't have it in me for even a light jog. Everyone kept asking me if I was OK...yes I'm o.k. - I'm discouraged and feeling a little whiney (almost cried during the 800) but mostly I'm dissappointed because I'm feeling defeated by the week! I hate defeat, I don't take it well :-).

My problems were three-fold: (1) Of course, muscle fatigue, (2) physical endurance/energy and problems with asthma (the first time I've experienced athletic induced wheezing), and (3) I'm feeling a bit blue this week which is affecting my attitude and, therefore my perserverance. I want to be clear that my overall attitude is not as negative as this may sound, I'm just trying to record an accurate account of how I'm feeling through all this.

Anyway, it felt good to actually complete the practice, no matter how difficult it was, and I'm still confident that I will get over this hump of muscle fatigue and be just that much better. I'm also aware that I didn't eat a Clif bar before practice like I usually do, and I'm sure that's what affected my endurance during the fast training. The good news is that I was so distracted with pushing to complete the 3200 that I couldn't even feel my legs. The fatigue came back during my cool-down, but I am continuing to ice my shins and my knees, using the foam roller to activate the muscles, and stretching throughout the day.

The interesting day will be the 2 hour, 45 minute run on Saturday...

No comments: