Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Run - Home to Chase Palm Park Soccer Field and Back

Time: 7:15pm, 30 minutes
Meal: ProVantage Protein Shake (1 scoop blended with 1/2 a banana in 8oz. of rice milk) and about 8oz of Gatorade at 6:45pm.
Distance: Approx. 3 miles

Remember yesterday when I said I didn't think it could be any more difficult to motivate? Well, I was wrong. I am even more exhausted and dragging my behind today. I'm getting a solid 8 hours of sleep and being pretty good about nutrition and rest, but I'm still just so tired! People at work even commented on it today. I guess I have to give myself some credit - I'm doing pretty good sticking to the training schedule, just getting over a cold, and balancing other life stuff (including Scott's broken ankle and inability to drive himself places). OF COURSE its exhausting!

Anyway, this run was difficult. My trademarked phrase "Flu Legs" was back in full effect. O.K. it's not tradmarked and it's just my way of describing the muscle fatigue I feel going on down there. Everything hurts. It hurts during and hurts after. Stretching feels great, but doesn't make the pain go totally away. Again, I can hear Lucas telling me to try and push it - but it's just so hard when my energy is so low and I am clearly not good at self-motivating!

All that being said...

I feel grateful that I am part of this team. I feel grateful that, when I'm training on my own, I have the thoughts of what I'm doing it for to keep me going. I think of all the people suffering from blood cancers - and all the people on the team who are struggling through it with a loved one of theirs. I am grateful that I don't personally know anyone faced with this illness currently, and proud to be a part of helping to find a cure for those who are. I think of the people I know who have battled cancer in the past or currently battling non-blood cancers (my aunt, for example, is deeply in my thoughts as she is currently battling breast cancer). When I find myself feeling whiney, selfish, worried about my own exhaustion I realize that it's nothing compared to what these people are going through. I am just thrilled to be having this experience!

By the way, a visit to Dr. Nicole today revealed that the problem in my left foot is most likely related to my calf muscles. She did that painful deep-tissue stuff and it seems to have loosened up a little. It always amazes me as to how all this stuff is connected! :-)

No comments: