Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Cross Training - Elliptical @ Spectrum Club

Time: 9:30pm, 20 minutes
Meal: Macaroni-and-cheese-and-sausage-vegetable-surprise at 7pm

Another day of taking it easy since my legs are still really sore. I went in to see Dr. Nicole after work today and we're still trying to resolve the issue. Turns out I don't really know what I'm talking about (duh) - the core of the problem still lies with my IT Bands (part of the quadracept muscle, on the outside of my leg, which runs from my butt to down below my knee). "IT Band Friction Syndrome" is actually one of the most common injuries for runners. There's a good explanation of it here. The pain is prominent in my left knee/leg, and she explained that it can sometimes result in shin splints (which makes sense since my shins were really killing me yesterday). She did a lot of deep tissue work up near my glutes, on my shins, and around my knees (one word - OUCH!! I guess it has to hurt if its to heel). I need to continue using the foam roller, be better about stretching (she even gave me a few more stretches), and give my body a little more time to warm up prior to my workouts.

Under her recommendation, I did the ellliptical machine tonight in lieu of running since it's a little bit lower-impact. This was a lot easier on my body but its clear that I have a lot of work to do on my legs since they are still sore! I did stretch for about 20 minutes before and 10 minutes after. I really, really, really need to get in the habit of stretching a lot and allow ample time for it.

I'm having a slow, frustrating, typical PMS week (too much information? Too bad!), so I think its a good time to also work on my attitude (especially because this leg thing is really discouraging) and my focus during workouts this week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the blog. Keep up the good work!
Dr. Nicole