Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Training Update

This morning I realized I hadn't posted any updates since August 9th. Boy, was that a busy month or what?! I went back in and added the workout data from my Garmin, but thought I'd do a whole separate update on where things are as of today.

First, I've raised $1260 of my $1950 goal, all supporting Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in the fight against blood cancers. Thanks to all who have donated! It's not too late to jump on that bandwagon. Click here to make a donation. Your support, either morally or financially, is greatly appreciated.

The Disneyland Half Marathon is this Sunday, September 5! I can't believe how fast the time flies.

My body is more than conditioned for this race. Training was going so well (new nickname - "speed demon"), that I registered for the Santa Barbara International FULL Marathon on November 6th. I've exceeded the half marathon distance three times during my training...getting as high as 17 miles in one run.

However, after a spill on my mountain bike early last month, I suffered an injury to my lower left rib. I nursed it for a couple of days, and the pain went completely away. Unfortunately, it came back with a vengeance during my Long Run on Saturday, 9/21. I ran 15 of my planned 17 miles an the coaches pulled me off the course...I was practically doubling over in pain.

Since then, I haven't been able to do much. I have to say, when you're used to getting so many miles under you in a given week, instantly switching to sedentary is a total shock to the system. It's been difficult not to move, and the lack of motion really frustrated me for a while. I keep reminding myself that this time of quiet is necessary for preparing and healing me for Sunday, and I'm hopeful and optimistic now that I can walk and ride my bike without any pain.

So, I am excited about Sunday...ready to kill my personal record (previously 2:02...anticipating under 1:55). But I'm nervous about the rib flaring up again. Worst case, I'll walk to the finish line in Disneyland...and I still have 2 months of healing before the Santa Barbara Full.

Once again, thanks so much for your support. I'll let y'all know how the race goes!

No comments: